Targets and expected results
- Clarify requirements for carbon materials for selected applications.
- Quantify the material properties and performance arising from the various carbon structures containing particles, fibres, sheets and foams.
- Carry out modelling assisted material design and optimization of such structures for selected application areas.
- Determine relationships between precursor materials & structure as well as processing to carbon quality.
- Combine our background knowledge of materials and processing methods.
- Make carbon designs based on above mentioned work.
- Testing few designs by manufacture of novel carbon material samples using bio-based polymers with different precursor types and processes.
- Evaluation of market potential of novel carbon materials in co-operation with Finnish and international companies.
- Preliminary environmental effect evaluations for selected materials of the whole the life cycle.
- Selection of most potential application fields for product and process development.
As results we will obtain
- Requirements for carbons in (7 application fields).
- Preliminary evaluation of the business opportunities for these materials.
- Materials samples of selected carbon materials designed for specific applications (e.g. 4-5), some of which (e.g. 1-2) are to be tested as product samples.
- Network of companies in different states of value chain.
- Network of research institutes capable of carrying out the further development work.
- More detailed and updated road-map for bio-based structural carbons.
Figure. Road-map for tailored bio-polymer based structural